Practice Complaints Policy
Because we want to ensure that all our patients are pleased with their experience of our service, we take complaints very seriously indeed. If a patient makes a complaint, we will deal with the matter courteously and promptly so that it is resolved as quickly as possible. Our procedure is based on these objectives.
This Practice has an effective complaints system in place to ensure that identifying, receiving, recording, handling and response to any comments, observations or complaints occurs within a strict timetable which is clearly documented. The complaints system is clearly displayed and all patients and visitors are confident that they will be listened and responded to without fear of discrimination.
Any complainant can be assured that they will be treated in a manner respecting their human rights and diversity; in a sensitive manner and that the complaint can be made by a variety of methods either verbally or in writing.
Where they lack confidence or require help they will be supported by helpful staff members. Their complaint will be fully documented and fairly dealt with and following investigation, lessons learned can lead to changes being made to avoid future complaints.
Patient complaint procedure
If a patient complains on the telephone or at the reception desk, we will listen to their complaint and offer to refer him/her to Sheema Ghilani immediately. If this named person is not available at the time, then the patient will be told when they will be able to talk to the dentist and arrangements will be made for this to happen. The member of staff will take brief details of the complaint and pass them on. If we cannot arrange this within a reasonable period or if the patient does not wish to wait to discuss the matter, arrangements will be made for someone else to deal with it.
- If the patient complains in writing the letter will be passed on immediately to Sheema Ghilani
- Complaints about clinical care or associated charges will be referred to the clinician concerned unless the patient does not want this to happen. In this case they can talk directly to the clinical director Dr Masoud Memari.
- A written response to a complaint with accompanying copy of our code of practice will be sent as soon as possible, normally within three working days. We will seek to investigate the complaint within ten working days of receipt to give an explanation of the circumstances which led to the complaint. If the patient does not wish to meet us, then we will attempt to talk to them on the telephone. If we are unable to investigate the complaint within ten working days
we will notify the patient, giving reasons for the delay and a likely period within which the investigation will be completed.
- We will confirm the decision about the complaint in writing immediately after completing our investigation.
- Proper and comprehensive records are kept of any complaint received.
These clear complaint procedures are monitored and reviewed and the named contact who is accountable for doing this is Sheema Ghilani.
If a patient is not satisfied with the result of our procedure then a complaint may be made to:
The Dental Complaints Service
Tel: 020 82530800
The General Dental Council -The Dentist Registration Body
37 Wimpole Street
London, W1M 8DQ
The Care Quality Commission (CQC)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tel: 03000 616161